St Barnabas St
- Client: Grosvenor
- Architect: GRA Architecture Interiors
- Structural Engineer: Hurst Pierce + Malcolm
- Carbon Consultant & BREEAM Assessor: Sturgis Carbon Profiling
- Contractor: Grangewood
- Location: Belgravia, London
- Building Standard: Breeam 'Excellent'
Extensive residential retrofit of 2 properties in St Barnabas St conservation area, achieving BREEAM ‘Excellent’.
The aim of the project was to retrofit the properties improving their thermal performance with respect of the conservation area’s restrictions.
SCP’s approach included:
- Installation of 8 PV panels in each property
- Highly efficient internal insulation to achieve low u-values on existing façades
- Secondary glazing low-e glazing retaining the existing timber sash windows
- New high efficiency combi boiler
- Use of low carbon sustainable materials
- Low water consumption sanitary fittings
SCP provided sustainability consulting services to achieve carbon reductions, including:
- Cold bridge calculations using THERM software to ensure the insulation installation is cold bridge free
- Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) and Building Performance Evaluation on both properties
- Site inspections, including infrared thermography
- Assessment under BREEAM UK Domestic Refurbishment 2014
The thermal improvements to one of the properties achieved 90% reduction in CO2 emissions, from 124.47 KgCO2/m2yr to 11.09 KgCO2/m2yr.